Saturday, June 2, 2012

Our Next Journey

Monday I start a new job with Wipro. As Neiman Marcus is a client of Wipro, I will be assigned to Neiman Marcus as the UniVerse DBA. UniVerse is a database owned by Rocket Software. It is a variant of the "Pick" database, developed by Don Nelson and implemented by Richard Pick in the 60's. It's flexible and powerful. I've worked with "Pick" databases for over 30 years, mostly with the UniVerse and Reality variants.

So, this begins a new journey for Mary and I. Monday I fly to Atlanta for a two day New Employee Orientation. Since the benefits are comparable and the salary agreeable as well as the fact I'll be working for a client well known to me (Neiman Marcus), I look forward to a positive experience with Wipro. While I have had experience being a "one man IT department" for companies who employed me in the last 30 years and who use "Pick", I have not worked specifically as a DBA. I've performed that function in prior capacities, to be sure. I've just never performed that function full time!

I look forward to getting more deeply involved in the database I love to work with! This should provide a lot of very good experience. This will certainly be a more "visible" and responsible position than what I've held at NM until now. However, most of what I will do as a DBA will be planned far in advance and, if I am as proactive as I plan to be, emergencies should be held to a minimum. This ought to provide a more "reliable" schedule for Mary and I, something we lacked, somewhat, in my prior positions. Also, as a Wipro employee in a contracted position, I will be held to a limit of 40 hours a week and no more. This will help too!

That is it for now. I'll try to provide updates if or when things change or are proven accurate.

1 comment:

Vhenderson said...

Congratulations Bruce! I look forward to working with you in your new capacity. I know that you will suceed.